The Department of Greek and Latin Philology at the University of Zurich is by far the largest institute for Classical Philology and Medieval Latin in Switzerland. It may also be considered internationally one of the leaders in its fields.
The Department's historical roots stretch back to the Reformation. Since the University was founded in 1833, renowned philologists such as Johann Caspar von Orelli, Adolf Kaegi, Eduard Schwyzer, Ernst Howald, Manu Leumann, Fritz Wehrli, Ernst Risch, Hans Frieder Haefele, Walter Burkert, Hermann Tränkle, and Peter Stotz have all taught and researched here.
Our Department distinguishes itself by its traditional breadth of research, by the diversity of the courses offered, which aim to cover the full Greek and Latin spectrum (including Medieval and Neo-Latin), by the opportunity to focus on specific areas not only of literature, but also of linguistics, as well as by strong ties with the other literary, linguistic and cultural study programs at the University.
Three full professors teach within the Department: Prof. Christoph Riedweg is responsible for Greek. Classical Latin is the responsibility of Prof. Ulrich Eigler, while Prof. Carmen Cardelle de Hartmann occupies the Chair of Medieval and Neo-Latin and is currently Head of Department. In addition, Prof. Gunther Martin joined the Department as SNSF Assistant Professor in September 2015.
Our most important research and teaching tool is our well-stocked library. Both the Graeco-Latin and Medieval Latin units, to which a smaller Egyptology unit is attached, are housed in the magnificent Villa Tanneck at Rämistrasse 68 in Zurich, where also most of the classes are taught. It offers quiet workspaces for students and researchers alike. In addition the library is used regularly by members of other institutes and also offers guest researchers from Switzerland and abroad a perfect working environment.
Further information on our Department, including all our staff and opening hours, can be found on the German-language page.